Sunday, June 22, 2008

Connections

Re-connected with an old friend this week. I just LOVE when that happens. It makes you re-examine yourself. Her name is Sandy and she lives in a wonderful little town in Oregon...she's got the mountains AND the ocean. While trying to tell her in less than an hour why I came to Montana, I got bogged down in the details of HOW I came to be here. I neglected to mention the most important reason. I was born a country girl in Alberta. Of course I was drawn to the city. Couldn't wait to leave the damn prairies. Youth always requires what it doesn't have. I spent 35 years in urbania, living an exciting life meeting incredible people, traveling to exotic places, making music with some of the best, but there was always that pull back to the country. I'm really Ferdinand in the flowers. THAT's really why I'm here. I am intensely delighted when that doe in the pasture behind my house finally lets me get a glimpse of her new fawn. The lilacs around my house perfume the evenings and when they're gone, I wait impatiently for my peonies to bloom. They're opening as we speak! The mountain snows melting have turned the normal lazy turns of the Bitterroot River into a rushing swishing singing torrent. That's what excites me now.

"Love to throw yourself on the earth and kiss it. Kiss the earth and love it with an unceasing, consuming love."
Feodor Dostoyevsky

I wish I could learn to love myself the way I love the earth that spawned me.

No comments: